Pilates is a method of movement that focuses on balanced strength, body alignment and control of movement.
Pilates is a blend of strength and flexibility training that improves posture, reduces stress and creates long, lean muscles. Pilates encourages the individual to improve body and movement awareness. It does so through the use of deeper muscle layers needed for overall joint stability, proper posture and balance. Pilates work several muscle groups through continuous movement with particular focus on stabilizing and strengthening the core (the abdomen, back and pelvic girdle region). Pilates exercises are focused on quality of movement as opposed to quantity, which leaves you feeling energized after a session rather than exhausted.
The fundamental Pilates concepts are based on the following principles:
- Concentration: Needed to execute movements with proper muscular sequencing and joint alignment.
- Core Strength: Needed for dynamic stability.
- Breathing: Needed to oxygenate the working muscles.
- Muscular Isolation: Needed to activate and strengthen the weaker muscle groups.
- Control: Needed to syncronize a group of muscles to perform a coordinated movement as well as to isolate single muscle groups.
- Precision: Needed to master the proper techniques of specific movements at a subconscious level.
Here at West Island Pilates we recognize various methods and teachings of Pilates. Due to our belief that there is always something beneficial to be gained from different approaches, we have embraced the multi-dimensional qualities that various techniques of Pilates can bring to our studio. The dynamics of the methods vary between instructors but the principles remain the same. We bring to you a proven form of core strengthening with a solid record of success. People of all ages and fitness levels can achieve their goals through Pilates.
Enjoy your self-discovery through Pilates.